I spent an enjoyable morning giving a talk followed by a Q & A at one of the UK’s consistently performing top grammar schools. In answer to would I advise someone to pursue a career as a Veterinarian did I answer truthfully that:
(1) To gain entry you will have to achieve outstanding grades in one of the most consistently oversubscribed university courses.
(2) You will graduate with potentially a 6 figure debt after 5 years of intense study with most of your holidays spent on extra mural unpaid work.
(3) You will start on an average salary of £28k rising to £35k between years 3-5 post graduation.
(4) You will most likely never own or be a partner in your own practice.
(5) You will be up-to 4 times more likely to commit suicide than the general public.
Veterinary has been exceptionally good to me and I appreciate that I am one of the lucky ones but as an industry these figures are unsustainable on so many, many levels. Things must change.